Dr. Paul, can you hear me?

The other day, in a campaign e-mail, Ron Paul stated (emphasis added):

Does this mean our campaign has done everything right? No! We have made mistakes, and will make them again. [...]

If you have suggestions for me to do better, I want to hear them.

I’ve had issue after issue after issue with the national staff at the Ron Paul campaign. Most never get resolved, most calls don’t get returned, etc. Over the last few days, my phone (and e-mail) has been ringing off the hook with similar complaints from people around the country. Many of the complaints in other states are generally the same as I hear locally.

Some of the issues are relatively minor, but I’m talking about some very major ones, too. For instance, I’ve warned the campaign, in advance, of the most serious negative media coverage they’ve received. As a matter of fact, they just got hit by another one which they knew was coming their way.

They don’t do what professional campaigns do. They don’t inoculate when the get the chance (and they’ve certainly had them). They don’t act in a proactive manner, and their reactions are very weak and very late (barring portions of Ron Paul’s CNN appearance). They could have already aired a new television advertisement showing Dr. Paul with a lot of his racial minority friends.

They could have created a list, predominantly filled with African Americans currently in jail for minor drug charges, and stated that, if elected, these would be the first people Ron Paul would pardon. Hold a televised event, bring their family members on stage, talk about how this honor student is in prison for seven years for one joint or how that one won’t see her daughter until she’s in third grade because of a stupid little baggy the police found in her car. You know the drill; it’s not rocket science.

I know they had advance notice on most of the key negative media, because I personally informed the campaign. They could have done a lot of things, they had the chance, but they didn’t.

Over the last few days, I’ve had person after person relating similar campaign horror stories (not media related, but other screw ups which are just as bad, or worse). I was directed to one important thread at Ron Paul Forums, started by the person I assume to be former Ron Paul staffer J. Bradley Jansen, which highlights some of these sorts of errors. There is a lot of good (and some bad) advice in the thread. Of course, most of the really bad stories of which I’m aware aren’t even on that list.

Dr. Paul, are you listening?

83 Responses to “Dr. Paul, can you hear me?”

1. Wes Benedict Says:

Steve Gordon,

You recently accused Ron Paul of being insensitive. You even threatened to leave him because of it. Now you’re complaining that the man won’t listen to you. That’s very womanly of you. I respect that.

Given that you’re command over the American electorate is what it is, can you put the consequences of your potential next actions in dollars and cents or percentage numbers for us?

I can’t tell if this is just another one of your short-lived temper tantrums begging for attention and ratings or if the future of our Republic is truly at stake this time.

2. Stephen Gordon Says:

Wesbian,

Not as womanwy as your wesbian self, I’ll suggest. :)

Actually, I’ve called both Iowa and New Hamsphire perfectly for Paul, and pretty damned close for all of the other candidates. If I could only pick stocks like that. Actually, stocks are pretty much all low right now—perhaps I should buy gold.

Being a Paul supporter, it would really hedge my bets. If the economy continues its trend, I’ll be worth more. If Paul wins, I’ll already own a lot of yellow legal tender.

3. Wes Benedict Says:

In all honesty (don’t laugh everyone),

My biggest gripe with the Ron Paul campaign was that his paid TV and radio ads in New Hampshire were as dull as California Pizza.

Could we have some pepperoni and jalapeños please? That would be manly, and I would respect that.

4. paulie Says:

Steve, if gold goes up, gold mining stock will go up even more. Silver may be even better than gold.

I’m thinking of writing my own gripes column about the campaign. Not sure if I should. Maybe I’ll make it a private post and invite you to view it.

5. Robert Capozzi Says:

Steve:
    I’m still hoping the Paul campaign will right itself. The list of critiques is interesting, but they need IMO to do a better job at damage control, to “ventilate” on the matter of the newsletter. First things first!

We know that a President is an executive, one who hires staff. We need assurances that the real author, for instance, will not be part of a Paul administration.

The clock is ticking.
    -Bob

6. Teresa Says:

I have sent emails to the campaign that have been answered.

7. Eric Dondero Says:

Stephen, you and others here in the Comment section seem to be discussing side issues. It’s not so much Paul’s inept campaign that’s the problem, it’s the Newsletters and the commentary inside them. This latest batch is quite explosive. More so than the first round. I was a little dismissive of Kirchiner with the first batch. Yeah, there were some highly controversial stuff with that first batch. But most of it, still could be explained away as “admittedly edgy” but still in the safe realm.

This latest batch crosses the line into outright racism and homophobia. And I ain’t no politically correct wuss either. Still, some of this stuff made me cringe.

And worse for Paul it directly links him to the writings, and repeatedly confirms his hands on approach as the Newsletter Editor.

Can we get some discussions here on the issue at hand, and stop the deflections?

How do you all think this all will affect the future of the libertarian movement? My instincts tell me, libertarians will be much more careful in the future in latching on to someone and their agenda.

8. Linda I Says:

I’ve emailed the national RP campaign several times and received answers everytime. And I’m in email contact with the state (GA) organizer… Have you contacted your local Meet-up group for Ron Paul. That organizer can help you with a lot!

9. Lloyd Says:

Lloyd here, covering third parties since 1972. This article points out the one of the many problems with blogs.

Blah, Blah, Blah! These campaign people won’t listen to ME!

Tell me. When you contacted th Paul people did you tell them your name? I can’t find it anywhere on the article above.

10. Nigel Watt Says:

I’m working in South Carolina as a student volunteer for the campaign. The paid people are incompetents who don’t do any work. There are 3 paid staff at the Greenville office, and only one of them is consistently in the office. If work’s getting done, there’s a 90% chance it’s us, the volunteers.

11. paulie Says:

Tried to volunteer. No dice.

On facebook.

me
    1:37pm Jan 2nd
    I’m not a student, but if you want my help in SC let me know.

Paige Michael-Shetley
    1:43pm Jan 2nd

I do. I can hook you up with one of the local supporters who are housing people.

me
    2:01pm Jan 2nd
    People are free to contact me

(my email and phone number)

Paul

me
    7:50pm Jan 9th
    Haven’t heard from anyone.

Paige Michael-Shetley
    7:58pm Jan 9th

I passed your info along.

Where are you situated out of?

me
    8:07pm Jan 9th
    I live on the road full time, right now I am in Alabama.

end of conversation.

They did let me distribute literature door to door once, only because it was here in town and I got a ride down there.

I’ve told them repeatedly that I could help do this on other occasions, pass out literature on campus, or put up road signs, but that I don’t drive and would need a ride to any canvassing in B’ham and to put up road signs anywhere.

I can get a ride to campus, but they haven’t got back to me on that either.

12. paulie Says:

Hmm. For some reason the TPW spam filter does not like the URL below. Let’s see if this posts without the http part.

I think the Ron Paul campaign has made a huge blunder by not focusing on Michigan. A good showing in Michigan would have given Ron Paul momentum going into the first money bomb of the new year, SC and other upcoming states.

Michigan is an open primary, and the Democrats will not allow Michigan delegates to have a vote due to them having the primaries too early.

Due to this fact, an appeal to Democrats and Independents on peace and civil liberties issues could have been especially effective.

Even without this factor, the only place (to my knowledge) where the Ron Paul campaign has tried this strategy so far in earnest - Jefferson County, Iowa - also happens to be the only place, to my knowledge, where they have won.

Instead, the Ron Paul campaign seems to want to focus on being more standard issue conservative Republican than the rest. I don’t believe it will work, because conservative Republicans are in a particularly unlibertarian
    phase at present:

lewrockwell.com/rockwell/red-state-fascism.html

13. paulie Says:

The Jefferson Co., Iowa strategy:

14. Tess Says:

If I was part of the Ron Paul campaign, I wouldn’t answer any calls or emails from the media either, the media can’t report the facts or truth anyway. The newsletter stories have all been cleared up, even the NAACP supports Dr. Paul. What do you people want - Blood.
    I will continue my efforts by grassroots means to get his message out. This week alone I have introduced close to 50 new people to Ron Paul. Funny thing is I still have people say, why isn’t he in the news? I tell them to look him up on their computers, google him, go to his website. Mainstream media continues to black him out, and they continue to write negative stories about him. I let these people know, the truth is that old mainstream media does not want our public to know the truth, and if they want the truth they need to research it themselves. People are better off researching and using their brains instead of letting the old media give them what they want you to believe. We no longer have media that actually reports news, they are all commentators nowadays. Ron Paul has my vote and support. http://ronpaul2008.com

15. paulie Says:

Steve Gordon,

LOL for real.

16. NH Says:

It is likely that Eric Dondero wrote that stuff himself.
    We know for a fact Paul didn’t write it, and in the end it’s not even that bad.

What is ‘racist’ is highly up to interpretation by the politically correct and what do we care about them anyway?

Paul is trouncing Giuliani wherever he goes…this is good!

17. paulie Says:

I’m pretty sure Steve IS the organizer of his local meetup group. He’s also the state communications director for the campaign, and knows Ron Paul and national staffers personally. So if he’s not getting called or emailed back, there is probably a reason.

I don’t think Steve was trying to contact them for an interview on TPW. He probably means he was contacting them as a campaign worker.

LOL. Of course Steve told them his name. But the lack of author thing when you are looking at the article directly, rather than linked from the front page, does need to be fixed.

18. paulie Says:

It is likely that Eric Dondero wrote that stuff himself.

It’s not. Eric was not working for Ron Paul during much of this time (the newsletters in question go back to at least 1978), and the style doesn’t sound like his. Besides, if it was Eric, I don’t think the campaign would be so protective of the author(s). I imagine they would be eager to let the world know they had found a bad apple in the operation.

It seems much more likely that the author(s) remain close friend(s) and advisor(s) of the campaign.

We know for a fact Paul didn’t write it,

We don’t know it for a fact, although I agree that he almost certainly did not.

and in the end it’s not even that bad.

That’s absolutely ridiculous. That stuff really IS that bad.

What do we care about the vast majority of people who find some or all of this material incredibly offensive? Is that a serious question?

Paul is trouncing Giuliani wherever he goes…this is good!

You sign your posts NH. If the votes in NH were counted accurately, as Ron Paul has publicly said he believes they were, Giuliani beat Paul in NH.

Most places haven’t voted yet.

19. Tiger Says:

Tess is correct most people whom I speak to don’t know much about Ron

becuase of the MSM blackout.

20. Thomas L. Knapp Says:

“We know for a fact Paul didn’t write it …”

Then whoever “we” is knows more than me. In 1996, Paul said that he did write it, and defended it. Now, he says that he didn’t write it, and repudiates it.

Was he lying in 1996 about having written it, or is he lying now about having written it? Was he lying in 1996 when he defended those views as his own, or is he lying now when he repudiates those views and says they’re not his, or did his views change and he just doesn’t want to admit that he ever held them?

Where have I seen this kind of stuff before? Oh, I remember now:

“I didn’t inhale.”

“I did not have sex with that woman.”

“That depends on what the meaning of ‘is’ is.”

21. Kevin Houston Says:

Eric Dondero,

The last batch of tripe from TNR was nothing and I expect when I open the next batch and read them in context, I will find distortions in context and labeling similar to the first story.

The “Kind words for David Duke” link contained no kind words (or harsh ones either for that matter) the only positive comment is put in the mouth of the voters, not the author. The rest of the article is simply reporting David Duke’s results.

The “OMG! He called Dr. King a gay pedophile - Burn him!” link is a rehashing of public information revealed in King’s FBI files. Dr. King is not being trashed because of his race, but because of the content of his character. Even so, that information is not used to denigrate any group, nor is it the basis of an ad-hominem attack on the idea of civil rights. The point under discussion is should Dr. King be the foundation of a national Holiday.

The worst part of this IMHO, is that you know full well that Dr. Paul didn’t write this. You, Eric Dondero, know full well that it was ghost-written, and yet here you are trying to pass this off as Dr. Paul’s secret heart. Even though you disagree with Dr. Paul on foreign policy matters, I would have thought you would come to his defense on this issue.

You have stated in past writings that Dr. Paul had very little to do with the newsletter. You were there - so which is it? Was Dr. Paul the writer of the newsletter (while you were there) or was someone else? Was Dr. Paul a “hands-on” editor, or was it just his name on the masthead?

Not at all. Dr. Paul is running as a Republican. That he was the LP candidate in 1988 is nothing, since that was before most of the articles in question were written. Even if Dr. Paul put pen to paper himself, which we all agree he most certainly didn’t, it was after he was Pres. candidate for the LP.

Although it’s not the main reason I have been advocating that the Paul campaign have little or nothing to do with the LP, it’s a nice side benefit. “Credible deniability” is a two-way street, after all.

Later.

22. Rolf Lindgren Says:

I think people are getting a little worked up over nothing. Since the newsletter smear broke, Paul’s poll numbers have gone up to 9% in Michigan and 8% in California. The semi-racist reneck republican vote that GOP candidates need for nomination is starting to fall Paul’s way.

Please don’t let the MSM manipulate you. The racist war on drugs is an important issue. The newsletters are not.

23. Sean Scallon Says:

You can make a million suggestions to the camapaign or to Ron Paul at this point but it’s pretty much too late. Whether Ron Paul has a good shbowing in a particular state is going to be largley due to how organized the grassroots are on the ground. This was not a campaign that started out with a detailed strategic plan on how to win the nomination. It started as a lark. And while it has grown considerably with the money it has raised and support it has gained, it has also done things on an ad-hoc basis and has tried to do things with inexperienced staffers and amateurs because no Republican professional would work for the campaign (not if they want to keep working). So there it is, like it or not.

The only people who are still obsessed over the newsletters as the “cosmo” libertarians or other power-trip dreamers (like Mr. Rittberg) who think they can ditch Dr. Paul when this is all over with but somehow still inhertit his movement. I’ve got news for you neocon-wannabes, you fellows scorned and dismissed Dr. Paul when this thing started, then when started raising money and gaining support you started sniffing his arse like the dogs that you are and now you want to run away yelping because of 20-year old newsletters nobody believes he wrote. Instead of trying gain something over Dr. Paul’s dead political carcass, my suggestion would be to continue to eat from the scraps given to you by the neocons and others in the Beltway establishment, because that’s all you’re going to get to eat.

24. paulie Says:

Kevin Houston

http://www.tnr.com/downloads/July1992.pdf does in fact have kind words for David Duke.

It says he was called Hitler for opposing black priveleges. That sounds to me like whoever wrote it - under Ron Paul’s name - thought (or wanted the readers to think) David Duke is a good guy, who is unjustly villified for standing up to unearned black privelege and has no really significant faults.

Much of the rest is equally bad.

25. Kevin Houston Says:

just checked out the first link on TNR’s site. As I suspected, it’s a distortion.

A May 1990 issue of the Ron Paul Political Report cites Jared Taylor, who six months later would go onto found the eugenicist and white supremacist periodical American Renaissance.

Putting aside the minor fact that it’s not an academic citation in the newsletter at all, the author is simply quoting Jared Taylor’s point that when black-on-white racial killing occurs no one calls it racist. That point is not racist! No value judgement is made at all, it simply reports that a killing occured when two African-American men killed an European-American man (simply for being of European descent, it would seem) and there were no riots or marches.

And how is Dr. Paul’s political report (or anyone else for that matter)suppossed to know 6 months in advance that Jared Taylor would go onto to found a “eugenicist and white supremacist” magazine? For that matter, do we even know that American Renaissance is such a magazine? Given TNR’s record, I am not at all willing to concede such a point without seeing some evidence. What I expect I will find is another quote taken out of context from some point in time way beyond 1990 that “proves” AR’s evil intentions, but disproves the notion that Dr. Paul’s political report knowingly made common cause with racists.

This is more guilt-by-association smear tactics (and right on the eve of the Michigan primary too, how convenient)

Would someone else please go through these with a fine tooth comb? I am going to be busy all day and I really don’t have time. But I am certain that if people just dig a little and question the premise of Kirchiner they will be able to dispute a lot of this.

The April 1988 Ron Paul Investment Letter lists Paul as Editor.

The May 1988 Ron Paul Investment Letter lists Lew Rockwell as Editor.

So TNR KNOWS editorship changed hands in 1988, and they are STILL trying to blame Dr. Paul for things written afterwards?

I swear, if I hadn’t signed that pledge when I joined the LP, I would be about 2 tanks of gasoline and a couple days drive short of punching Mr. Kirchiner’s smug little face …

Later.

26. paulie Says:

Rolf

All the more reason why he should have gone all out in Michigan.

This is a good thing? I suppose I shouldn’t rule it out.

Goldwater benefited in the South for having voted against the civil rights act. Aside from Arizona, that was the only place he got electoral votes.

Wallace may have been headed for the Donkey nomination in ‘72 before he got shot. Nixon succesfully used a “southern strategy” of semi-veiled racial appeals to white voters later that year.

Reagan announced in Philadelphia, Mississippi, talking about law and order and supporting the police, and his people knew the symbolism.

It’s almost three decades later. I don’t think this will be a winning strategy this time.

Even if mosts Republicans are “semi” racists and come to believe Ron Paul is too, the war is the #1 issue right now, and most of those are not with him on that. Antiwar people are less likely to be the “semi-racist rednecks” you are referring to. Sure, some of those are antiwar too, but you are cutting out too many people by being both.

In the long run, that isn’t the coalition we should be building.

And suppose Ron Paul were to somehow win. Wouldn’t that leave him beholden to a very ugly part of his support base if what you are suggesting is correct?

27. Wes Benedict Says:

Sean Scallon says:

Wes says:
    Well said.

28. Rolf Lindgren Says:

paulie;

Goldwater won the GOP nomination. That is what Paul is trying to do right now.

Paul can dump the semi-racist redneck republican voters and move to the center (by emphasizing the racist Drug War) AFTER he gets the GOP nomination.

29. Sean Scallon Says:

Thanks Wes.

30. Thomas L. Knapp Says:

Quoth Kevin Houston:

“And how is Dr. Paul’s political report (or anyone else for that matter)suppossed to know 6 months in advance that Jared Taylor would go onto to found a ‘eugenicist and white supremacist’ magazine? For that matter, do we even know that American Renaissance is such a magazine?”

At least one of the newsletters “thanks” the magazine and gives the newsletter readers subscription information for it. Does one normally thank, and offer subscription information for, a magazine of which one does not approve?

American Renaissance isn’t a “white supremacist” magazine, it’s a “white separatist” magazine. Or, to be more detailed, Jared Taylor is a publicly avowed “white separatist” rather than “white supremacist” (he believes that Asians are more “racially developed” than “whites”).

Call it PC if you like, but when an article starts out by identifying all participants in a riot as black, and then repeats “blacks this” and “blacks that” and “blacks the other,” and that newsletter also uses Jared Taylor as a source and says flattering things about David Duke, the authors either are idiots or have white sheets and hoods hanging in their closets.

So, to recap:

- We do not yet know whether Ron Paul is an idiot or a racist—we just know it’s one, the other or both.

31. Rolf Lindgren Says:

Thomas;

32. MargieM Says:

Thanks for bringing up this important topic. My dealings with the national office have been the same as you describe. It seems to me that there is a very serious level of mismanagement and it comes from the very top of the campaign staff.

I’ve worked on plenty of campaigns before and was initially skeptical of the “Revolution” folks. I’ve reconsidered. The Revolution needs to take the campaign back.

33. MargieM Says:

That’s absolutely inexcusable.

34. Thomas L. Knapp Says:

Rolf,

You write:

“Dr. Paul is not a racist. He is under no obligation to anyone to reveal who wrote the newsletters. You are being manipulated by the MSM.”

I don’t know whether Paul is a racist or not. Neither do you.

What we both DO know—if we’re both paying attention, that is—is that Paul is a liar, and that therefore we can’t know whether or not he is a racist, because we can’t trust him to tell us the truth when asked.

It’s fairly obvious which of us is being manipulated here, and by whom. I look forward to hearing from you when you emerge from the trance, abandon the cult, and are ready to get back to work for freedom.

35. paulie Says:

KH

The citation in question was at

Why would anybody be citing Jared Taylor as an authority, academic or otherwise?

36. Andrew Taylor Says:

I like and support Dr. Paul. I have contributed both money and time to his presidential campaign. However, I find his explanations for this newsletter fiasco to be less than forthcoming and, frankly, ridiculous. I believe that he didn’t write the offensive passages—in fact, I’ve read comments by very few people who think that he is the author of those anti-Semitic, homophobic, and racist comments. Those who know him best, and even those who don’t like him (like Eric Dondero), have defended him from the charge that he is the author.

However, what far too many of my fellow Paul supporters fail to realize or acknowledge is that the good doctor still has a massive problem on his hands, even if he’s NOT the author. He didn’t write those words; good for him. So how does Paul explain that such vile crap was issued under his name in so many different issues over such a long period of time? At BEST, this makes him utterly incompetent as a leader, manager, and supervisor. This is not exactly a “presidential” qualification!

Rudy Giuliani, whom Mr. Dondero supports, often gets beat up (and, in my view, fairly), for being far too loyal to certain scabrous people like the mobbed-up Bernie Kerik. But doesn’t this complaint apply to Paul, too, as he continues to surround himself with such execrable individuals as Lew Rockwell—whom just about everybody believes actually wrote that disgusting bile—and his sphere of influence?

I will still be voting for Paul, but I won’t send him any more money, and I won’t invest any more of my time in his campaign. He has proven himself to be a categorically foolish and irresponsible individual, despite the fact that I agree with him more than any other presidential candidate.

37. MargieM Says:

I noticed the same thing. I live in Aiken.

38. paulie Says:

wikipedia

American Renaissance (AR or AmRen) is a monthly racialist magazine published by the New Century Foundation…

The magazine and foundation were founded by Jared Taylor, and the first issue was published in November 1990. A main theme of the magazine is a claim that non-white minorities pose a demographic threat to the United States and other European-derived nations. The magazine argues that the United States’ major social problems are due to racial diversity and a weakening of the country’s white racial heritage by increased non-white immigration. In the August 1997 edition, there was a poll of readers on who had done the most for the white race, and Adolf Hitler got the most votes.

39. Wes Benedict Says:

I’ve heard I was completely incompetent so many times. I’ve also got some other negative traits but I’m not going to disclose those.

Texas Libertarians are never going to get anywhere with incompetent people holding the fort!

What has anyone heard about Steve Gordon’s performance for the National LP?

Steve Gordon, are you a sexist? Are you? Do you condone sexist comments? Do you allow them on your blog?

Are you just a Third Party Smear prostitute looking for tricks?

40. Rolf Lindgren Says:

paulie;

You are falling into a media trap. Who cares if a friend of Ron’s might have been a racist 18 years ago? The MSM wants you to care. I don’t care. Very few people care.

The MSM no longer has a monopoly on telling us what we should care about.

41. MargieM Says:

I heard the campaign turned down one of the biggest names in GOP campaign management circles. I’m not going to name names because this news doesn’t seem to have hit the press.

42. Trent Hill Says:

Please. Someone on here has already cited that the newsletter changed hands in 1988.

“The April 1988 Ron Paul Investment Letter lists Paul as Editor.

The May 1988 Ron Paul Investment Letter lists Lew Rockwell as Editor.”

Rockwell, being someone whose mentor was Murray Rothbard and whose hero was Mises (both jews)—-its hard to imagine he was still editor when the anti-semitic statements were made.
    Was it rockwell? Don’t know, don’t care. Was it Paul? Definetly not.

43. Stephen Gordon Says:

Come on, Wes. My level of incompetence clearly exceeds yours. You’ll have to get up very early in the morning to meet my daily quota of screw ups.

With respect to sexism, I’ll have to admit my heterosexual preferences. When at the beach, my eyes are drawn to the more feminine sorts of people. The same thing applies at strip clubs.

Regards,

A TPW Ho

44. Jason Gatties Says:

I voted for Ron Paul this morning in the Michigan Primary.

45. Stephen Gordon Says:

I’ll take a look at the name issue on blog postings. It should be an easy fix.

46. Stephen Gordon Says:

Margie—I heard the same rumor.

47. Stephen Gordon Says:

Tess—In my case, I wasn’t calling for a interview; I was calling to give them advance notice about negative media with which they were fixing to be smacked.

48. Stephen Gordon Says:

NH —While I may disagree with Dondero on many issues, there is no reason to speculate that he wrote any of it.

49. Stephen Gordon Says:

Stories like those from Nigel and Paulie are typical of what I’m hearing in a lot of states.

50. Stephen Gordon Says:

Jason—any feel for how Michigan will vote? I’ve got one friend working a voting box there today. I’ll call him and see what news he has.

51. paulie Says:

Rolf

Goldwater won the GOP nomination. That is what Paul is trying to do right now.

That was 1964, this is 2008. Do you really think nothing has changed in 44 years in America?

Yes, and such positioning would not be used against him in the general election effectively?

This is assuming that Republican voters are as racist as you say. I have no doubt many are, but many of those wouldn’t vote for Ron Paul because of his stance on the war, wiretapping, secret prisons, torture, and related issues.

Additionally, some of the best chances Ron Paul has for winning the primaries come in open primaries by bringing in independent and swing voters. I don’t believe as many of those will be both antiwar AND racist (or at a minimum willing to overlook one or the other). How do you get a winning coalition out of that?

You are falling into a media trap.

Not if your theory that being viewed as racist will help Ron Paul in the Republican primaries is correct. In that case, I’m playing into Ron Paul’s hands. In fact shouldn’t we all be trumpeting this story as much as possible if I understand your analysis above correctly?

I don’t think that’s what many people care about. What they care about is that some very disturbing material went out under Ron Paul’s name for many years, that he has in the past claimed to have written it himself and that he was standing by it (1996), and that the person or people who did write it may still be a key aide and advisor.

Is he going to be questioned about it a lot more if/when he starts winning primaries? I expect so.

The campaign has focused much more energy on SC than Michigan. A win in SC would be tremendous, but if it is the FIRST place Ron Paul wins (or places or shows) , expect a heapin’ helpin’ of mud that will make the Blitzer interview, or the coverage in Reason Hit and Run, seem like a lovefest.

The MSM no longer has a monopoly on telling us what we should care about.

That’s true. But they are not out of the picture yet either.

52. Trent Hill Says:

Im dissapointed to see you people siding with the Beltway Libertarians.

Its sad.

53. Wes Benedict Says:

Steve,

You completely ignored my most serious allegations and what makes you look like a hypocrite attacking Ron Paul.

Steve Gordon, are you a sexist? Do you condone sexist comments? Do you allow them on your blog?

Look at the last week of Third Party Watch. Is it full of sexist comments? What about your other blog? Is it full of sexist postings by you?

54. Stephen Gordon Says:

Trent,

55. Stephen Gordon Says:

Wes,

“The quotations in The New Republic Third Party Watch article are not mine and do not represent what I believe or have ever believed. I have never uttered such words and denounce such small-minded thoughts.

“In fact, I have always agreed with Martin Luther King, Jr. Camille Paglia that we should only be concerned with the content of a person’s character size of a person’s breasts, not the color of their skin amount of estrogen they have. As I stated on the floor of the U.S. House some Libertarian Convention on April 20, 1999 some random date: ‘I rise in great respect for the courage and high ideals of Rosa Parks Hillary Clinton who stood steadfastly for the rights of individuals against unjust laws and oppressive governmental policies.’”

“This story is old news and has been rehashed for over a decade a week. It’s once again being resurrected for obvious political reasons on the day of the New Hampshire primary to enact the neo-con takeover of ThirdPartyWatch.

“When I was out of Congress the national office and practicing medicine rumor-mongering full-time , a newsletter TPW was published under my name that I did not edit. Several writers contributed to the product. For over a decade month, I have publicly taken moral responsibility for not paying closer attention to what went out under my name.”

56. matt Says:

Well, anyway, here’s a rundown of people who, in my opinion have writing styles so dissimilar from those in the newsletter excerpts that they are almost certain not to have written them.

Lew Rockwell (Racism allegations aside, the writing styles don’t match.)

Ron Paul (Couldn’t have written the sentence “carjackings are the hip-hop thing to do”, since he probably doesn’t even know what hip-hop is.)

Gary North (Yes, he’s a pessimist, but he always intersperses long, drawn-out sentences with short punchy ones for rhetorical effect. The newsletters don’t.)

Jeffrey Tucker (This isn’t quite as certain as the other dissimilarities, but Tucker has an air about him that the newsletters lack. Also, Tucker’s columns contain a lot of breezily dispensed ‘free advice’. the newsletters don’t.)

Alex Jones (He’s conspiratorial enough, but he would have been too young, as wikipedia says he didn’t graduate H.S. until 1993.)

Eric Dondero (I’m told he didn’t work for RP at the time.)

Tom Palmer (Well, now that’s just too rich, isn’t it?)

57. paulie Says:

Im dissapointed to see you people siding with the Beltway Libertarians.

I’m not automatically siding with anyone. I still haven’t withdrawn my offer to volunteer for Ron Paul again, if anyone ever gives me a ride to do so, or a call that they have reserved a table, say at a college or gun show, and would like my help. I’ve promotes some Ron Paul projects on my blogs and
    on numerous yahoo groups and myspace etc.

Hell, I’ll even still go to SC if they pay my expenses.

I’ve said for some time now that I endorse Ron Paul, but with some reservations. The fact that they have no use for my volunteer time is a reservation. The handling of the newsletter story is another.

I’m putting these things in perspective and adjusting as I go.

No one is immune from criticism. It’s meant to be constructive.

58. Jason Gatties Says:

Stephen-

I’m predicting 10%

I’d be amazed if it were higher.

59. Stephen Gordon Says:

Jason, thanks.

However, watch out. Suggesting that St. Paul might get less than 100% will probably have you labeled as a neocon smearmonger.

60. Stephen Gordon Says:

Worth repeating:

Tom Palmer (Well, now that’s just too rich, isn’t it?)

61. Stephen Gordon Says:

BTW, a little birdie told me about another negative piece of media, which will probably hit later today. I already knew the article was being written, and a new source has indicated that it is likely to hit late today or early tomorrow.

I’m not going to call the campaign about this one. They won’t do anything in a timely manner anyway.

62. matt Says:

Dondero says the new negative piece is coming out in “a major beltway journal” today. It will be curious to see how major the publication is, whether or not it says anything new (I’m betting no) and, of course, whether or not the RPHQ sees fit to respond.

63. Tim Says:

No, I’m afraid he’s not listening. Neither are his campaign management. All recommendation are futile. Don’t waste your time. They have no coherent campaign strategy, nor are they going to get one.

64. Rolf Lindgren Says:

When you have 100,000 people trying to give you advice, that can be a bit much.

Ron Paul’s people know how to win congressional races. I think he’s using the right strategy in treating each state like a seperate congressional race.

65. MargieM Says:

No, I’m afraid he’s not listening.

If we see major changes with the national staff and a resolution to the charges of racism, I’ll believe he’s listening. Until then, I won’t be donating any more money or passing out any more slim jims.

66. Rolf Lindgren Says:

“If we see major changes with the national staff and a resolution to the charges of racism”

They already responed. Ron Paul said he’s not a racist and he didn’t write the newsletters.

67. Rolf Lindgren Says:

paulie;

Campaigning to the right in the primaries and/or during the nomination process, then moving to the center for the general election, has not changed since 1964. Paul should try to keep the semi-racist redneck vote that he has just obtained, until he gets the nomination. Once he makes strong statements on the racist war on drugs, that trumps any charges of racism against him.

It seems as if everyone here is falling for a classic media trap. You people are all scared shitless that Ron Paul will be labeled a racist. That might have been possible before the Internet or for someone less popular than Paul.

But it won’t come close to happening. Most people I know have never heard of the story. Ron Paul is not a racist. You are being manipluated. It doesn’t matter who wrote the newsletters. You who think it is important, only think that becasue you are living in fear, living in fear that the media will label Ron Paul.

You need to let go of your fear. The media uses fear to CONTROL you.

Ron Paul does not fear the media. He is fearless!

68. Hugh G. Knutts Says:

An excerpt from one of the new newsletters exposed today:

[i](Boy, it sure burns me to have a national holiday for that pro-communist philanderer, Martin Luther King. I voted against this outrage time and time again as a Congressmen. What an infamy that Ronald Reagan approved it! We can thank him for our annual Hate Whitey Day.)[/i]

That’s not “nothing.” That’s Ron Paul.

69. Alex Peak Says:

I have not read yet the latest batch of TNR “selections,” but I provide my analysis of the first batch here.

NH:

I don’t believe that Mr. Dondero wrote the passages, despite my disagreements with the man on various issues, particularly the war. Further, I don’t believe that Mr. Dondero believes Dr. Paul to be racist, for if he did believe this, he wouldn’t have worked for the man for so many years.

Mr. Knapp:

You write, “We already know Ron Paul is a liar—either he was lying in 1996 when he admitted to writing this putrid bullshit and defended it, or he’s lying now when he denies writing it and repudiates it.”

We do not “know” Ron Paul to be a liar. When he “admitted” in ‘96 to writing pieces in his newsletters, did he know for certain what pieces were being referred to? Also, specifically regarding the pieces he’s admitted to writing (if any), has he repudiated writing those specific pieces? We, or at least I, don’t have answers to either of these questions, so how exactly can we declare him a liar?

Mr. Taylor:

I do not believe Mr. Rockwell wrote the offensive portions. As Mr. Dondero pointed out, Mr. Rockwell had interns write things. Given that I haven’t seen anything written by Mr. Rockwell that would indicate racist views or tendencies, I lean to suspect that the offending passages were written by conservative interns.

This is, of course, only a hunch, though.

Mr. Lindgren:

You write, “Who cares if a friend of Ron’s might have been a racist 18 years ago?”

As I’ve written elsewhere:

Those who wrote the racist and heterosexist comments should, in my opinion, step forward and out themselves. Secondly, they should explain what they meant by the comments they wrote, explain why they wrote them, and explain whether or not they still agree with what they wrote. I’m a forgiving guy-if a person who was once racist sees the light and rejects his/her racism, that person deserves to be praised for bettering him-/herself. But if the person or persons do not step forward, then they either still hold racist/heterosexist tendencies or are cowards.

In any event, racism and heterosexism are quite contrary to libertarian or individualist doctrine, which holds that each person should be individually judged by the content of his/her character rather than by his or her appearance.

One of the reasons I joined the libertarian movement-one of the things that attracted me to it to begin with-was my unrelenting anti-racism. Indeed, opposition to the collectivism that racism requires ought to be considered one of the litmus tests for whether or not a person is a libertarian. If I thought, for even a second, that bigotry were compatible with this movement, reason would compel me to leave it.

Mr. Hill:

Mr. Knutts:

A) There is no evidence that that was not written by a ghost-writer. The only thing it proves is that whomever wrote it knew that Dr. Paul had voted against new holidays.

B) If I were in Congress, I would vote against every new holiday as well.

Cheers,
    Alex Peak

70. Trent Hill Says:

“Trying to fix a problem does not mean I’m siding with anyone. It’s just trying to fix problems.”

Fix problems how? What’ve you done besides baselessly speculate and complain that the campaign hasnt taken your advice?

“Mr. Hill:

I believe you make an important point. Dr. Paul and Mr. Rockwell both admired Dr. von Mises, and were personal friends with Dr. Rothbard, both Jewish (although the latter was technically agnostic).”

Religiously, Rothbard was agnostic—but ethnically he was Jewish. No one criticized Jews based on their religion,but on their ethnicity. Again I say—why on earth would Rockwell criticize his two heroes/mentors?

71. Rolf Lindgren Says:

Hugh;

Ron Paul voted for the Martin Luther King holiday.

“If Kirchick had bothered to actually check Ron Paul’s voting record (real research doesn’t seem to be his forte) he would have learned that on one of the very rare occasions when the Congressman has voted for something that is not explicitly authorized in the Constitution, it was for America to recognize Martin Luther King day as a public holiday.

“In the late 1970s and early 1980s, he voted to authorize the continuing operation of NASA and to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday on the third Monday in January,” writes Politifact.com.”

72. Eric Dondero Says:

In the late 1970s Paul had a very siginificant Black population in his District. His District was basically South Houston. Now, it’s Galveston, and rural South Texas.

73. Eric Dondero Says:

No, I said that the other day. And my information proved correct. TNR came out with a piece yesterday.

This evening a major libertarian publication will be coming out with a piece on the Newsletters. Stay tuned…

74. Itch aka Dick Masterson Says:

Steve, Eric, Wes, you are still covering up on Scratch’s death and all the shemales on the lnc? What gives, dudes? Why can’t we get some truth?

Gimme some truth.

75. Stephen Gordon Says:

Itch,

Where’s that link to Scratch’s death again?

76. Itch Says:

Alex, dude, run while you can. Stay out of the lp. They got Scratch. Look what they did to Brad Renfro.

Steve, be a man. Take a stand against shemales in the closet. What’s the deal with Susan? XXY? XYY? XYZ?

77. Joseph Says:

There is something about the truth which seems to have a penetration of it’s own. Ron Paul is doing great. Look at his results and the true grassroot campaign that has sprung up around one very honest mans assessment of the current state of our country. Not only does he diagnose the disease accurately he even has a detail prescription for the cure. The cutesy stuff aside the man isn’t full of himself. The rest of the field stand for “change”??? This seems to be the whole message of it’s self. Ask them what are you going to do for the economy?.. the response is we are going to “Change it” okay? What does that mean?? Mitt Homeny says he fixed the olympics by bringing “change” to it????? So what was that “change’? Barak Omama isn’t that much better but he actually looks like “change” so he’s doing well.

In the end we have to have to be in this for the long run and not just on presidential race. These monolithic organizations like the Republican and Democratic organization have a stranglehold of our country. We have to break each and every one of those fingers, this is going to take fortitude and time.

78. awarraic Says:

I totally agree with the article. Although, everyone is trying their best but this campaign could be better. Instead of putting all the efforts on the NET, the campaign people created virtual campaign and totally forgot the fact that this virtual campaign is not gona go vote.
    Regardless, I am not turning my back on Dr. Ron Paul. I was supporting him and will support him. I just wish the people who are campaigning would be little more focussed/organized.
    Here in Michigan, I tried to contact my county organizer and she didn’t even respond to any of my emails and she didn’t even show up in the meeting before the elections. So, what’s going on there? As far support and the supporters were there but no one to lead/organize.
    Go Dr. Ron Paul

79. Stephen Gordon Says:

awarraic,

I’ve heard some other horror stories out of Michigan, too. Such as the firing of Paul Garfield and replacing him with someone with no experience or local contacts (as I heard the story, I’m sure there’s another side to it, as well). I’m guessing that’s how a KKKer ending up being one of your country coordinators.

We just did another vetting check in Alabama to make sure all of our folks were decent, normal people.

80. paulie Says:

Ah!

I knew there was a reason they weren’t calling me back.

81. Stephen Gordon Says:

Funny!

82. James Says:

Being from Arkansas I can’t do nothing other than what I am doing already. Telling everybody I know at the store, gas station, Wal-Mart, Booger King, everywhere I go. I found this neat Ron Paul video on Youtube. It’s called the Power of Love. It’s kind of powerful at first so get ready.

83. George Dance Says:

Thomas L. Knapp: “So, to recap:
    “- We already know Ron Paul is a liar—either he was lying in 1996 when he admitted to writing this putrid bullshit and defended it, or he’s lying now when he denies writing it and repudiates it.”

Do you actually have a quote (written or verbal) in which Ron Paul “admitted to writing” any of the quotes in question (as opposed to someone else saying he wrote them)? I haven’t seen any such quote, and I note that no one else (including our Mr. Kirchick) has produced one, either.

With such a quote, you have a case that Paul’s a liar. Without it, I’m afraid, the story of his alleged admission smells a bit like bullshit itself.